Fedessa Self-storage survey
This is the seventh consecutive annual survey carried out by the Federation of European Self Storage Associations (FEDESSA) among its member associations and their member companies and the third to be produced in conjunction with property advisers JLL.
This survey has been produced with input from operators to help quantify the size and drivers of the industry across Europe. We hope it will be a useful reference point for investors and operators in this growing and dynamic market.
This year’s FEDESSA survey was completed by 700 self storage stores with representation from 14 member nations. This represents 24% of the self storage sites in continental Europe. The survey does not include the industries in the United Kingdom, but responses to the Self Storage Association UK’s (SSA UK) Annual Survey 2018 have been added to this report where appropriate. We have also supplemented the survey responses with interviews from various operators across Europe.
Responses to most questions in the survey relate to the facility position as at 31 March 2018.
- In 2017, Europe has 3,792 self storage facilities totalling 9,707,500 square metres of space
- 40% of facilities are in the UK and over 82% of the facilities are in the 6 most mature countries
- The European market remains highly fragmented, with the 10 largest brands across Europe representing just 23% of the total number of facilities and 39% of the total space
- The average amount of storage per capita is 0.020 square metres with only 7 out of 23 countries in Europe having in excess of this
- The average Current Lettable Area (CLA) is now 3,769 square metres while the average Maximum Lettable Area (MLA) is 3,989 square metres.
- The average rent is €262 per square metre and average occupancy is 78%
- The number of facilities with 24 hour access has increased from 19% in 2017 to 35% in 2018
- The average number of full time staff per facility is now 1.64, a decrease from 1.77 in 2015 while the number of part time staff has increased from 0.23 per facility in 2015 to 0.34 in 2018
- The ten largest brands across Europe represent 23% of the total number of facilities or 39% of the total square metres of self storage space in Europe
- There is increasing optimism in the sector with 3 out of 4 operators expecting 2018 to be a more profitable year than 2017
SC Solutions is a company from the Netherlands, that has been in the self-storage business since 2008, with here access control and security systems. SC Solutions always finds a lot of information in the fedessa surveys, and is already waiting for the next one!